The importance of our close village community is as relevant today as it was in 1253 when the village received its Market Charter by Henry III. A butter cross was built, the base of which survives, but the market and fair soon ceased. However, thankfully in most recent years the village has seen a return of such activities at the Village Summer Fete. The Village has an active social scene mostly surrounding the Hostel, our Village Pub and Restaurant, full of characters and welcoming to everyone.
Much of the property in the village belongs to the estate of Hooton Pagnell Hall, which has been in the family of former Lord Mayor of London Sir Patience Warde since the 17th century. The name of the village derives from Ralph de Paganel (sometimes spelled Paynell), a Norman who was a tenant-in-chief in Yorkshire named in the Doomsday Book and an extensive landowner.
Close to the hall is the parish church of All Saints: a beautiful Norman square-towered church, restored in the 1870s and worthy of a visit for any historian in particular the interior and gravestones dating back to the 1600’s.