The Luterells acquired Hooton Pagnell Manor during the 13th Century, though their main family seat was at lrnham in Lincolnshire. The first Geoffrey Luterell rendered distinguished service to his country in a variety of ways. In 1205 he was in charge of the King's treasure at Poictiers; he had charge of the navy on the occasion of King John's visit to Ireland in 1210; in 1215 he was one of two noblemen entrusted by King John with a confidential mission to Pope Innocent III at Rome, but Geoffrey died on the journey.
The third Geoffrey Luterel was responsible for the execution and preservation of the LUTERELL PSALTER, completed about 1340. The manuscript is now in the British Museum and is described as: "the most unique and priceless medieval manuscript of its kind in the whole world". The Psalter is both calendar and psalter, with marginal illustrations depicting rural and domestic life, sports, customs and dress. The scenes include mummers, a comic wrestling match, villeins ploughing with oxen, a woman milking a ewe in a wattled sheep pen, a farmer using a sling to repel crows, and the miller busy with his sacks. No doubt many of the scenes were inspired by life in Hooton Pagnell.
By 1471 the Hiltons were in possession of Hooton Pagnell, but at some time between 1471 and 1495 the estate passed into the hands of the crown. One theory is that in 1486 the land was bought by Richard III. Certainly the land remained in the crown during most of Henry Vlll's reign, the estate being managed by a bailiff.
In 1520 the king granted the estate to William Fitzwilliam, Earl of Southampton. There is evidence to suggest that the Hall was vacant and derelict at this time, but it is uncertain who undertook restoration work. The estate was bought by John Gifford in 1556, and again by Sir Richard Hutton in 1605. Finally in 1704 Hooton Pagnell Estate passed by purchase into the Warde family. There had been negotiations between Colonel Robert Byerley and Sir Patience Warde of Pontefract in1681, but it was Sir John Warde, nephew of Sir Patience, and Patience Warde of Tanshelf, nephew of Sir John, who acquired the estate in 1704. Patience Warde immediately took up residence in the Hall and from this time the Hall and estate have been the home of his descendants.
In 1878 Sarah Julia Warde married William Wright Aldam, heir of the adjoining Frickley Estate. Their marriage united the Hooton Pagnell and Frickley estates. One of their sons, William St Andrew, inherited the Hooton Pagnell estate, which in turn descended to Mary Betty (daughter of Co1.W St Andrew Warde-Aldam) and her husband, Major H G Norbury, who took the surname Warde-Norbury in 1958.
The present owner is Mr W G A Warde-Norbury.