There was a Post Office and General Store on Clayton Lane in 1854. Since a Post Office existed in South Elmsall in 1852, it is reasonable to assume that a postal service for the area was established about this time. The 1891 census has George Child as the Hooton Pagnell Postmaster.
By 1926 the Post Office was more general farm store. Previously a smallholding had been attached to the property, and at this time the Post Office trade was only a small part of the business. Large bags of flour and corn stood on the stone floor, reflecting the essential business of the village at that time. In 1936 the Post Office was redesignated "A Telegraph and Money Order Office". By this time the Post Office warranted its own postman and bicycle. The mail would be delivered in a sealed sack, opened and sorted on the premises, and delivered to Hooton and Clayton.
After the war the grocery and greengrocery side of the business thrived. Supermarkets were a long way off, and the occasional mobile shop was soon seen of by the then proprietress, Mrs Groom. The bicycle came in useful for delivering telegrams: 2 pence in Hooton, 4 pence to Frickley, 6 pence to Hampole.
The Post Office was an important asset to the village, as was the Butcher's Shop, the only other remaining shop.