The present school was officially opened in 1970, but this, of course, was only the latest chapter in the history of education in the village.
A census of 1822 lists among the residents of Hooton Pagnell a Richard Fish, grocer and school master. Richard appears again in the census of 1841. Possibly Richard Fish taught his pupils in a small building in the garden of Yew Tree Cottage on Clayton Lane. We do know that he received the interest on £20 per annum, bequeathed by Henry Worrill in 1782, and the use of the school, in order to
educate six poor children. Here the children would pay one penny a week to be taught the three R's. Richard Fish died in 1858, eight years before the "old" school was built on the Twitchell. (Now School House)